There are a few ways you can reap the benefits of essential oils for a restful sleep:
- One of the easiest ways is by releasing them into the air, aka a diffuser. A diffuser is a device specifically designed for aromatherapy, and there are both water-based diffusers and those that do not require water. So, try out some essential oils or essential oil blends for sleep that work for you and put 3-4 drops from each in the diffuser and let it work its magic. Be cautious, though. Improper use of your diffuser, or diffusing for more than 1-2 hours a day can actually be problematic for your health. It can cause skin burns, irritation, or sensitization so enjoy aromatherapy safely.
- If you’re not the diffuser type of person, you can apply your favorite relaxing essential oil to a cotton ball or soft cloth to inhale the aroma before hitting the hay. You can also add a few drops of essential oil to your pajama collar or a few drops directly onto your pillowcase before bed.
- Essential oils can also be applied topically as effective sleep aids. Make sure to dilute your essential oil of choice with a carrier oil before applying topically to avoid skin irritation and sensitization. For instance, you can dilute Eucalyptus essential oil with coconut oil, avocado oil, apricot kernel oil before application, or using one of Way of Will’s specially-formulated, natural carrier oils for skin.
- A fun DIY way to enjoy essential oils before sleep is by creating your own essential oils room spray. Just save and reuse old spray bottles! We recommend using glass spray bottles since plastic bottles have a bad environmental rap for seeping chemicals into whatever you use. If you choose to use plastic spray bottles, be cautious of leaving them out in the sun to avoid that situation. Mix your essential oils blend with water, shake well and spray in your room, on your bed sheets or on your pillowcase.
- Have your partner or someone you trust give you a relaxing massage before bed to relax muscles. Soothing massage oils, like Way of Will’s 03 Soothe and Cool, include Peppermint and German Chamomile essential oils, which are efficient in relieving skin and muscle issues, as well as providing an aromatherapeutic experience.
DIY Essential Oil Recipes for a Restful Sleep
Creating your own essential oil blends can be a fun way to experiment with aromatherapy..Read More ›
The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide To Essential Oil
Embrace sweet orange essential oil for its immune boosting qualities.Read More ›